Minimum Entry Requirements
- High School GPA of 2.5 or GED of at least 2500
- SAT score of at least 900
- Readiness to take ENG 0101 and MATH 0031 or MATH 0110
- Earned an overall 2.0 GPA or better in all pre-technical course work.
- Students who do not meet the entry requirements of the program, but who meet the entry requirements of the University of Pittsburgh at Titusville are encouraged to pursue health science courses in preparation for later entry into the PTA program. Students must still meet all of the PTA entry requirements.
Students are required to complete clinical observation/volunteer work at two physical therapy clinics for a combined total of forty hours. This time must be completed by December 1 prior to beginning the technical phase of the PTA Program in January. The volunteer work can be completed at a hospital, nursing home or private practice based physical therapy clinic. Call and let the clinic know that you are applying to a PTA Program and you are required to do observation/volunteer time.
- Combined total of 40 hours of volunteer work from two seperate Physical Therapy Clinics (20 hours at each clinic) (click here for form)
- One positive letter of recommendation from the PT/PTA with whom the student has volunteered (click here for form)
- These above two requirements must be received by November 1st prior to beginning the technical phase of the program in January
PTA Applicant Personal Essay Requirements
- Please ensure it is between 300 (minimum) and 400 (maximum) words, 12 font
- Include Intro, Body, and Conclusion
- Name and page # included in Header of each page
- Include Title “PTA Program Personal Essay” at top
- Include, briefly, your experience with PT, if any, your reason for wanting to be in the PTA program, as well as your goals for being a PTA
First Aid & CPR Requirements:
- Current certification in First Aid and CPR prior to the end of the second semester
All students admitted to the technical phase of the PTA Program must complete a recent (defined as within 2 months prior to beginning first clinical experience) a criminal history information (Act 34), Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151) and fingerprinting.
Please add under the above mentioned section, the following:
The following links can guide you to these required items:
- Criminal history check: https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
- Child abuse history clearance: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
- PA fingerprinting: http://www.identogo.com/locations/pennsylvania
Insurance and Health Requirements:
Students required to have health insurance and up-to-date immunizations including tetanus, PPD, hepatitis and others.
Program Academic Requirements:
It is the policy of Pitt-Titusville's PTA Program that students must maintain a high level of academic achievement in order to continue in the PTA Program. Students are required to maintain at least a 2.5 GPA average in the PTA curriculum and an overall GPA of 2.0 each semester.
A maximum of 24 students are admitted to the technical phase of the program each spring semester. The PTA Selection Committee ranks students based on selection criteria including SAT/ACT score, GPA, core prerequisite course grades, personal essay, and volunteer hours with letter of recommendation. The highest ranking applicants, up to 24, will be offered acceptance into the technical phase of the program. Remaining candidates will either be placed on a waiting list as an alternate or denied admission.