Student Employment

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study program (FWS) provides on campus employment opportunities for students enrolled at Pitt-Titusville. The purpose of FWS is to allow students to earn a portion of the funds they need to meet their educational expenses.

FWS is a need based award so please note that not every student is eligible for a work-study position. There are a limited number of positions so not everyone awarded FWS on their award letter is guaranteed a position.

Eligible students are notified of their FWS award as part of their financial aid package. If you are eligible for Federal Work Study, the FWS award will be listed in the award letter.

If you have any questions after reading the remaining information, please contact the Financial Aid Office in Bennett Davis Hall.

To Apply for Federal Work Study Positions

All available jobs are now posted online at The University of Pittsburgh Talent Center

  1. Click
  2. Click the Find Positions tab
  3. Click on Student
  4. Place a check mark by Titusville to view only Titusville positions

Student Eligibility and Responsibilities

You must be enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh at Titusville in at least six credits per a semester to be eligible to participate in the Federal Work Study (FWS) program and must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress. Also if you are selected for verification, this paperwork must be complete before you can begin a position.

Students are responsible to their supervisors for punctual, regular, and efficient performance of job duties. Supervisors must be notified in advance of any absence. Students are recommended to remain in their chosen job for the entire semester, September to December, or January to April. If you resign your position or plan to withdraw from the Federal Work Study Program, you must notify your supervisor and the Office of Financial Aid. If you plan to work a different job for the remainder of the semester, you are responsible for initiating the placement process and making contact with a future supervisor. If you leave a job, you should not expect to have earnings replaced by any other type of financial aid. Please be aware that if you are terminated due to poor performance, you will not be able to be hired by another department for that academic year.


In accepting financial aid awards, students agree to provide any additional documentation requested by an authorized University official to verify information given on the original financial aid application. The University reserves the right to reduce or cancel an award in cases where there is conflicting or missing information. In addition, if the total awarded financial aid exceeds your federally determined eligibility, a Federal Work Study award can be reduced or canceled. In this case, the Financial Aid Office will notify the supervisor that the student is no longer eligible to continue working.

What to do After Being Hired

Once a student has been hired for a position, he or she must bring a completed Job Placement Card, which can be obtained from his or her supervisor, to the Financial Aid Office located in Bennett Davis Hall. After the Financial Aid Office approves the job card, they will notify the student by email and at that time, he or she must make an appointment with the Office of Human Resources by contacting (814) 827-4494. You will not be permitted to work until all employment documentation has been completed.